Although there is a continuous evolution occurring within the mining industry, there are still some areas that need addressing.
Each Wednesday, join me, Peter Finn, managing director of FACE Contracting, as I navigate the ups and downs of the mining industry with forward-thinking professionals from all walks of life. If you’re involved in the mining industry in any way – whether you’re a lifer or a high-school student looking to make the leap – Full Production is the podcast for you.
On today’s episode, we chat with FACE Contracting’s newly appointed GM, Dean Vallve. Dean is committed to shifting attitudes within the mining industry, particularly when it comes to people and processes. With a background in geology and mining engineering, he is a great resource for industry knowledge.
In our conversation, Dean takes this opportunity to give some insight into his background. He also shares how communication is key to a well-functioning workforce, developing support networks and respecting your workers.
In this episode, we also discussed:
- Dean’s experience with FACE’s interview process
- The importance of clear communication
- How the mining industry is evolving
- Treating people like people, and how to attract new quality recruits
- Nurturing workers and providing support
- Facing challenges and changing the norms
- Listening to and learning from the older generation of miners
- The benefits of suitable and sustainable work rosters
- Why planning your future in mining is crucial
- How changing your approach reduces conflict and increases relatability
- Dean’s thoughts on studying, working and maintaining family life
- The effect of having supportive partners