When you’ve got a passion and a fire in the belly there’s nothing you can’t achieve. Kalgoorlie’s own Graham McGarry proves this in spades.
Each Wednesday, join me, Peter Finn, managing director of FACE Contracting, as I navigate the ups and downs of the mining industry with forward-thinking professionals from all walks of life. If you’re involved in the mining industry in any way – whether you’re a lifer or a high-school student looking to make the leap – Full Production is the podcast for you.
It’s not going too far to say that Graham McGarry is a legend among the Kalgoorlie-Boulder community and beyond. A born-and-bred local, Graham has progressed from an office boy at the mines to the owner of multiple successful mines and businesses. But beyond this, his passion for the gold fields’ community is infectious, and what he’s achieved is amazing. With a new gold mine up and running and more community projects on the go, there’s no stopping him.
Here’s a taste of what Graham and I get into:
- Starting out: Kalgoorlie-Boulder in the ‘60s
- Sport and character building (and facing Dennis Lilley)
- The building of a successful long-term partnership
- The importance of community and charity
- The rebirth of the gold fields
- Attracting good staff and bringing out the best in them
- The success of Beacon Resources and creating a new gold mine
- Why mining regions breed the best tradespeople
- His passion project of housing the aged
- Thoughts on the changing face of the gold fields and mining in general